It’s easy to hate on ourselves and pick at ourselves for the littlest of things…usually things that no one else notices, but us. But why don’t we change the story…make it about self appreciation and loving yourself and who you are, vs. picking at the little scabs and wounds.
Here are a few ways to get started, today…
- Give yourself a compliment each day – sounds silly but it has a great way of making you smile and feel better about yourself. It can be as simple as saying “I look great in this dress” or “I did a great job on this presentation” or “I kicked ass at the gym today.” Try it out. What do you have to lose?
- Reward yourself – Provide yourself a reward (perhaps this is more on a weekly scale) for getting through daily life and adulting. Perhaps it’s a mani-pedi or a bottle of wine. Or maybe you accomplished something big and want to treat yourself to a nice a dinner or day trip.
- Tell someone else you love them each day – It’s not just about loving yourself – but showing others you love them too. Just the simple act of telling your significant other, your child, your parents, your friends or even your furball you love them, can resonate back to you and make you feel a little extra warm and fuzzy too.
- Focus on the long term goals, not just the short term satisfaction – You may want that ice cream, but is it worth it if the real self love is getting in that extra workout to achieve your larger goals? Perhaps allow yourself a piece of chocolate rather than a whole bowl of ice cream. You can still get a treat, and don’t feel as guilty because you’re still achieving where you want to go long term.
- Let yourself rest – sometimes you just need a break. That’s cool. Take an extra hour of sleep, take a nap on the weekend, or allow yourself a little veg session on the couch to watch your favorite guilty pleasure show.
- Say no to say yes – And in that vein, it’s ok to say no to others, so you can say yes to yourself and your own needs.
And if that’s not enough…come back and we’ll make a whole new list…just for you.
image source – pixabay