Written by blogging contributor, Sonia Sahota.
These last four years were a mixture of exciting and life changing moments. I’ve grown both as a person and also faced many obstacles along the way as I made the big transition from the Connecticut suburb lifestyle to the wonderful city of Boston. Some challenges were definitely easier than others. I experienced living in a diverse setting, learning about the beauty of various cultures, and traditions. I was able to travel the world and open my eyes to sights that I never thought I would lay my eyes on. I experienced a multitude of emotions along the way, including happiness, anger, sadness, heartbreak, anxiety, stress, joy and excitement. And I met incredible people along the way who have taught me to appreciate and be grateful. However, the biggest thing I’ve learned along the way is to take a moment and breathe…and live positively.
It took me almost four years to understand and convey positivity and optimism on a regular basis (or as close to regular as possible). After I learned how to take it day by day and exert more positivity in my daily lifestyle, I have become a much happier and healthier person. My friends and family have noticed the difference in my overall health and happiness too.
But just remember..
“Happiness is not a goal, it is a by-product of a life well lived.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Here are 9 tips that I have personally incorporated into my daily lifestyle that contributed to my optimistic mind, body and soul.
- Constantly surround yourself with ambitious and good people who reflect the person you want to be because positive energy is contagious.
- Smile more. As simple as that, it may sound funny but the act of smiling can make you happier after you do so.
- Let go of comparing and competing with others. Focus on where you are, and where you want to go.
- Believe in the good in others and try to see the positive in every situation. Yes, there may be situations where you cannot win but there are also others where there is always a positive angle. You just have to open your mind, and heart to believe it.
- Write a list of all the things you are grateful for today. I guarantee you this one will make you feel great.
- Indulge in foods that you love. I’m not saying do not be healthy.. but also fuel your soul and body. Enjoy that second helping of double chocolate mousse cake. Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too?!
- Make a playlist of your favorite songs that make you want to dance and sing along at the top of your lungs. Then play it while you are going for a run, driving in your car or just relaxing in your room. If you need a little nudge in the right direction, check out our latest Spring playlist.
- Have the perfect posture. Stand up with your shoulders back, keep your chin up and eyes forward. Your mental and physical health are linked so posture is key to feel awake and positive.
- Be Selfless. Spend some time giving back to others. Whether you are spending time at the local homeless or dog shelter, helping a friend when she is going through a rough patch, surprising a friend or family member with a treat to show them how much you appreciate him or her…whatever it is, find an opportunity or cause that matters to you, to give back.
If you incorporate all of these or even a few into your normal routine, I bet you will reach a step further in the direction of a more positive lifestyle. Even an extra smile.
Let us know if you have any other fun tips to have a positive daily mindset.