I don’t know about you, but traveling can put a dent in your bank account, and sometimes you just need to take the time to save and spend a little less. This summer is one of those times to me, where I am trying to stay more local, take shorter weekend trips, and find ways to escape without really going away.
Here are a few ways I hope to do so:
- Read more often – I have a tendency to read books that are similar to the Gone Girl genre and they allow me to wander into a story that is so different from my everyday life that I feel like I’m somewhere else.
- Pick a new spot in NYC to explore that I haven’t seen yet – living here, there is always something I haven’t seen or explored. It’s seriously endless from museums to shows to restaurants, to cool graffiti art to take pictures of.
- Walk along the river – Something about being near the water, just feels like a calming escape. It allows you to de-stress and allow yourself to forget about the days troubles and madness.
- Take a day trip nearby rather than an overnight stay – luckily there is a ways to get almost anywhere through public trans, and I can even go over to Connecticut to visit fam and old friends in just about an hour.
- And so much more…Listening to live music, walking through the park, grabbing ice cream at a local parlor, visiting an old favorite spot from childhood, going to the top of the empire state building and taking in the view, learning how to cook a new dish, order in and relax, and/or volunteer in your neighborhood to give back.
Your wallet will thank you…
image source – pixabay